[Alpine-info] problems with accented characters
pierre.frenkiel at laposte.net
Wed May 21 04:54:53 PDT 2008
On Mon, 19 May 2008, Mark Crispin wrote:
> . . .
>  There is a configuration problem, either in Alpine, your UNIX
> environment, or in your terminal emulator.  The messages which display
> incorrectly are in some way non-compliant with the Internet mail standards.
> Based upon your description, which includes trouble sending, I suspect cause
> . . .
thank you for you detailed answer.
I first thought that my problems with sending and displaying mails had
the same origin, which led to wrong conclusions.
In fact, I found that they are unrelated.
1/ Sending UTF-8 mails
As I said, this had actually nothing to do with
the xterm fonts. It came from the fact that my editor doesn't produce
UTF-8, but iso files (independently of any LANG setting)
After converting the file to UTF-8 with iconv, the mail
is correctly sent in UTF-8, with quoted-printable encoding.
2/ Wrong display of accented characters
The problem actually came from xterm, even after installing the
debian package xfonts-efonts-unicode
I discovered that using uxterm instead of xterm miraculously
There is still one thing which looks like an alpine bug(or at least
of the ubuntu implementation): The LANG variable is not used.
With LANG=UTF-8 and display_character-set unset, the display
of UTF-8 mails should be OK, but I get
The following text is in the "UTF-8" character set. ]
[ Your display is set for the "ANSI_X3.4-1968" character set. ]
[ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]
Thanks again for your help.
More information about the Alpine-info