[Alpine-info] UTF-8 test message for your viewing (dis?)pleasure
mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 12:37:40 PST 2009
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Mike Miller wrote:
> The text file is here in case anyone else wants to test font and
It is also good to check it out in browsers and other mail systems. For
browsers, you have to choose View -> Encodings -> UTF-8.
In Firefox on Ubuntu things look pretty great with very few characters
missing, but the alignment of brackets on the right side of the math
section near the top is slightly off, which makes that part hard to read.
It does have the Ethiopian, for what that's worth. I'll call it a tie
with urxvt because urxvt didnt' have Ethiopian but urxvt handled the math
In Firefox on Windows it looks pretty bad -- missing many characters and
the box alignments are bad. Even the "Nicer typography" box is off in the
region of the Euro symbol. The Thai does not align.
Google's Chrome browser on Windows has pretty much the identical problems
of Firefox on Windows, so this might mostly be a Windows font issue.
Gmail in Google Chrome on Windows -- pretty bad, even worse than in either
browser on Windows viewing the text file.
Gmail in Firefox on Windows -- equally as bad, as Gmail in Chrome and
definitely worse than the text file in Firefox browser on Windows.
Gmail in Firefox on Ubuntu -- much better, in a way, because all of the
characters are there as they were when UTF-8-demo.txt was viewed in the
Firefox browser window on Ubuntu. The major problem: alignment. Nothing
aligns correctly. It's like viewing a proportional-spaced font that was
supposed to have been a fixed-width font.
A big part of the problem with Gmail is that it does not display plain
text in a fixed-width font. This is quite astonishing when you consider
all the implications and that Google people are computer geniuses. The
"breakthrough" here is that Firefox has an extension called GreaseMonkey
and someone wrote a script for GreaseMonkey that fixes the font problem in
Gmail without messing up other things. Once I added the GreaseMonkey
extension to Firefox on Ubuntu and installed the script, my UTF-8 message
looked fantastic. It was probably identical to how it looked in Firefox
I did find a couple of problems. One is that it sometimes does not
present something correctly (e.g., a table of numbers aligned using
spaces) when there are spaces at the beginnings of the lines. It also has
a problem when a new a sentence ends with a period and two spaces before
the beginning of the next sentence -- when it wraps between the sentences
the next line will begin with a space, which makes it look like a new
paragraph when it isn't.
More information about the Alpine-info