[geogu-l] Not too late! Need help finding a Job?! -- Dependable
Workshop - June 19 & 22 and Career Launch - June 25th (fwd)
rroth at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 10 17:05:24 PDT 2009
Dependable Strengths Workshop Focuses on Strengths and Talents To Increase Job Fit and Career Satisfaction
June 19 & 22
Are you struggling with finding a job? Frustrated with securing that first job, but don't know what to do next? Not sure what you're really good at? You're not alone, and help is on the way! In this 2-day workshop, you will gain confidence in your skills, learn important new networking methods and develop a strategy for finding a career that really "fits". Using the "Dependable Strengths" articulation process of identifying strengths and talents, participants report greater employability, self-esteem, productivity and career and life satisfaction.
Past participants of the Dependable Strengths Workshop report:
* "I explored my strengths and talents from a different point of view - stepped out of myself and evaluated my strengths in a very honest way to help me find my life work..."
* "It completely shifted my focus from 'how can I fit into that job' to 'how I can highlight my strengths and abilities which will lead to getting the right job for me'."
* "It helped me define and clarify my strengths, increased my self-esteem, and established a network."
* "This workshop really helps you take a fresh look at what you can do by learning to see and focus on your dependable strengths."
The Dependable Strengths Workshop, sponsored by the UW Career Center and the UW Alumni Association, consists of two workshop days of collaborative sessions, which include interactive exercises, interviewing, self assessment and more. This workshop is offered to the UW community at a significant savings. (Other organizations charge up to $500 for similar workshops.) Registration is $110 for UW Alumni Association members, $120 for non-UWAA UW alumni, and $75 for currently enrolled UW students. General registration is $150 for all others.
Online Registration: http://careers.washington.edu/Forms/Dependable-Strengths-for-Alumni-Community
Registration can also be completed in person or by mail. Please contact our office for more details at:
UW Career Center, 134 Mary Gates Hall, Seattle, WA 98195
Career Launch Workshop for New/Recent Grads
"Okay, you graduated - congratulations! Now that papers and midterms are behind you, come join us and jump start your job search!"
Thursday, June 25
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
$30 per participant/$25 for UWAA members - Lunch Included
Registration is required for this event - http://careers.washington.edu/Forms/Career-Transitions
Résumé and Cover Letter Writing (10:00 - 11:00)
Employers typically spend 30 seconds or fewer reviewing applicants' materials. Will yours pass this screening? Learn how to write résumés and cover letters that stand out. In this workshop you will:
* Compare how online application systems differ from traditional paper applications.
* Learn formatting tips for creating a compelling searchable-text résumé.
* Determine when to use different résumé styles and formats.
* Use job descriptions and job postings to emphasize your match with employers' needs.
* Review tips for highlighting your unique qualifications in a cover letter.
Conducting a Job Search (11:15 - 12:30)
Do you know the most successful job search strategy and how to use it to find your next job? How do you find a job in a down economy? In this workshop you'll learn how to:
* Follow the essential steps for finding a job.
* Research industry and employer information.
* Evaluate the effectiveness of popular job search strategies.
* Create and cultivate contacts.
* Navigate and employ digital-age technology to your best advantage.
* Set goals, develop a job search plan, and follow through.
LUNCH & "JOB CHAT" (12:30 - 1:30)
Join us for lunch and hear about the current state of the labor market in Washington State followed by a Q&A session with UWCC staff. Find out what's hot and what's not! Bring us your questions and we'll get you an answer!
Successful Interviewing (1:30 - 3:00)
What's the question underlying all the interview questions that employers ask? This workshop will provide practical information and tips to ace any interview. We will explore:
* The most popular interview question and how to answer it.
* The most important tool for interview prep.
* Common types of interviews and interview questions.
* The STAR method for answering interview questions.
* How to answer difficult interview questions.
* Best and worst questions to ask a potential employer in an interview.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Career Launch Workshop new alums 5-09 vs.doc
Size: 421888 bytes
Desc: Career Launch Workshop new alums 5-09 vs.doc
Url : http://mailman2.u.washington.edu/pipermail/geogu-l/attachments/20090610/525cd547/CareerLaunchWorkshopnewalums5-09vs-0001.doc
-------------- next part --------------
Advisers mailing list
Advisers at u.washington.edu
More information about the geogu-l