Monday Morning Brain Teaser
margo at pnwhealth.com
Mon Jun 10 08:16:54 PDT 2002
This is probably unfair, but I can't get it off my mind. In the most recent
issue of the American Journal of Health Education, Reginald Fennell wrote a
compelling article in the "Personal Perspective" section. He is convinced
that, "Health education and health promotion students need to be aware of
current events and health issues. Most local and national news programs
have health reporters who provide information on the latest findings from
primary and secondary sources. As a professor at a traditional age
university, it is difficult to understand how health education and health
promotion students could not be aware of current health and political issues
in the media (e.g., print, internet, and video). As a child growing up,
watching the local an national news was a part of our household taught to us
by our parents. In middle school, in civics class the importance of current
issues was reinforced." I don't necessarily disagree.
In my teaching, I encourage teachers to use the newspaper as a remarkable
reading and health resource. I also encourage teachers to check in with
students to learn what they have "heard" about health issues, clarify and
add to the facts where necessary. Dr. Fennel includes a 20-item quiz, and
his disappointment at his student's performance. Personally, I thought a
number of the responses were intriguing, "I cannot remember who Dick Cheney
is." Student recognition of singers was very high!
Then I started wondering how well non-students (like us!) would do; so I
have faithfully retyped the questions here. How well will you do?
1. What is the FDA? Please spell out the name.
2. What is the CDC? Please spell out the name.
3. What is a EURO? What is its significance?
4. Who is Tommy Thompson?
5. Who is Alan Greenspan?
6. Who is David Satcher? What controversial report did his office release
summer of 2001?
7. Who are Bill Hemmer and Carol Simpson?
8. Who is John Walker Lindh?
9. What is Enron? (Hint, you can no longer say it is the name of a sports
10. Who is Kofi Annan?
(No, I didn't make a mistake, number 11 is missing in the journal.)
12. Who is Daniel Pearl?
13. Who is Ken Lay?
14. What is Healthy People 2010?
15. Who is Andrea Yates?
16. Who are the following people: Donald Rumsfeld, Condelezza Rice, John
Ashcroft, and Dick Cheney?
17. Who are the following two individuals: Tom Daschle and Trent Lott?
18. What is the impact of the global Gag Rule (U.S. government) with
respect to family planning? Who imposed it?
19. Please complete the names of the following singers: Out _____, Gwen
_____, Cr_____, Missy _____, _____ Park, _____ Rock, _____ Chicks, Joe
_____, Mya _____, and Tim _____.
20. What popular "boy band" member will be flying into space? What is the
cost of the flight?
So, how did you do? Nope, I don't have the answers, especially about the
singers, well except the Dixie Chicks!!! Have a great week. Margo
Email: margo at pnwhealth.com
PNW SOPHE Job Bank: www.pnwhealth.com/jobbank.htm
"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish (s)he didn't trust me so much." Mother Theresa
More information about the PNWHEALTH