[PNWHEALTH] Job Announcement: Manager,
Maternal and Infant Health Program
Deanne.Boisvert at METROKC.GOV
Wed Feb 16 13:38:08 PST 2005
Manager, Maternal and Infant Health Program
Office of Maternal and Child Health
Division of Community and Family Health
Washington Management Services, Band 2
Opens: January 26, 2005 Closes: February 25, 2005
The Department of Health is seeking a dynamic and experienced public health
professional to provide leadership, direction, management, planning and
organization for the Maternal and Infant Health Program. The Manager of this
program reports to the Director of the Office of Maternal and Child Health
and is a member of the Office Management Team.
The goal of the Maternal and Infant Health Program is to improve the health
and well-being of pregnant and childbearing women and their infants in
Washington State. Additionally, this program has a direct connection for
joint management of the First Steps program with Medical Assistance
Administration in the Department of Social and Health Services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Direction, leadership and oversight for the statewide perinatal
* Oversight of the Statewide Perinatal Advisory Committee.
* Vision, leadership and direction for the First Steps Program.
* Leadership for identifying, responding to and coordinating Women's
Health issues within the department and with the federal government.
* Assessment and response to emerging issues such as access to
maternity care delivery system, prenatal standards of care, drug, tobacco,
* Development and dissemination of prenatal care best practices
* Address significant health disparities for pregnant and childbearing
women and their infants.
* Masters degree with major study in public health, health care
administration, public health administration, nursing, or related field.
* Demonstrated leadership, management and supervisory experience.
* Knowledge of and experience with maternal and infant health issues.
* Knowledge of and experience with budget preparation and tracking.
* Knowledge of and experience with organizational development and
The preferred candidate will possess proficiency in the following
* Leadership: coach, inspire and motivate staff to accomplish the
program mission, goals, and objectives.
* Problem solving: address problems with new and effective solutions.
* Communication: effectively speak for the program at the state,
regional and national level; give and receive information effectively orally
and in writing.
* Interpersonal skills: adapt and work effectively with a variety of
situations and people; model effective group process behavior, such as
listening, discussing, negotiating, rewarding, encouraging and motivating.
* Organizational relationships: maintain a clear focus on policy
issues, internal and external customer needs and work collaboratively with a
diverse group of partners and stakeholders.
* Technical and professional competence: apply technical and
professional knowledge and skills, including supervision and management, to
accomplish program goals and objectives.
* Cultural competency: model and facilitate the development and
integration of cultural, ethnic, and gender sensitivity and competence.
Actively seeks out different points of view and leverages the benefit of
* Customer Service: use customer perspective to guide problem solving
and decision making.
The Washington State Department of health has six major divisions: Community
and Family Health; Environmental Health; Epidemiology, Health Statistics and
Public Health Laboratories; Health Systems Quality Assurance; Information
Resource Management Services; each led by an assistant secretary who reports
to the Secretary of Health. For more information about the Department of
Health, visit our web site at: www.doh.wa.gov. The Department of Health
values its role and the work performed by its employees as reflected in our
"The Washington State Department of Health works to protect and improve the
health of people in Washington State."
The main office of the Washington State Department of Health is located in
the state capitol of Olympia, approximately one hour south of Seattle and
two hours north of Portland, Oregon. Olympia is less than an hour's drive
from either the ocean or mountains and provides an ideal physical setting to
carry out the responsibilities of this position.
This position is in the Washington Management Service, band 2 with a salary
range of $58,656 - 71,484, depending on qualifications. State employment
offers a solid benefits package that includes a state retirement plan;
deferred compensation; health, dental, life and long-term disability
insurance, paid vacation and sick leave and eleven paid holidays.
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following materials by the
* A letter of interest addressing the desirable qualifications and
competency areas identified above;
* A current resume listing names of employers with dates of employment
and a description of experience and level of responsibility for each
position held and educational background;
* A minimum of three employment references with current telephone
* The voluntary Applicant Profile Date Sheet (attached).
Application materials will be accepted until February 25, 2005. Mail
Department of Health
Attention: Lou Owen
101 SE Israel Road
PO Box 47903
Olympia, WA 98504-7903
FAX: (360) 236-4414
E-Mail: lou.owen at doh.wa.gov
TDD: (360) 663-3023
The Washington State Department of Health is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over
40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam Era Veterans are encouraged to
Accommodations for testing and/or interviewing for applicants who qualify
under the American with Disabilities Act are available upon request. Persons
of disability needing this document in alternative format should contact Lou
Owen at (360) 236-4408.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the PNWHEALTH